When I was a kid, candy corns were one of my favorite Halloween treats. They made awesome vampire fangs 😂 So it’s no wonder I used them to make a witch’s hat.
For this project I recommend getting clay candy corns. You can use real ones and coat them in Mod Podge, but they won’t last whereas the clay ones will. If you want to get even more creative you could make them yourself 😊
This is a fun and easy Halloween Decoration to make for your home and is great for kids too.
For this Project you will need:
- Large Paper Mache Witch Hat (about 12 inches tall)
- Acrylic Paints: Folk Art School Bus Yellow and Black
- Clay Candy Corns
- 18″ white netting
- Black Pom-poms: 1 large and 1 small
- 2 small wiggle eyes
- 2 Yellow/Orange Chenille Stems Pipe Cleaners
- Letter Rubber Stamps
- Staz On Stone Gray Ink
- Small Orange Boa, 18-24 inches long depending on your hat
- Sponge brushes (makes painting big sections faster)
- Aleene’s Tacky Glue
- Glue Gun
- Wire cutters
- 1/2″ flat brush
- Clean water, paper towels, wax-coated paper plates for paint palette
- Mod Podge: Matte for sealing (optional)
- Basecoat the top of your witch hat in black paint using the 1/2″ brush. Apply 2-3 coats and let dry in between coats.
- Basecoat the bottom and inside of the hat with 1 coat of the black paint using the 1/2″ brush. Let dry.
- Basecoat the rim of the hat, on top in yellow paint using the 1/2″ brush. Apply 2-3 coats and let dry in between coats.
- Using the glue gun, randomly glue candy corns around the top of the hat.
- Stamp you letters around onto the rim of the hat. If you’re not going to seal your hat with Mod Podge go to Step 8.
- (Optional) Using your sponge brush apply a coat of Matte Mod Podge to the entire hat to seal it. Let dry. Once dry you can apply a second coat of Mod Podge if you so desire.
- (Optional) Apply 1 coat of Mod Podge to the bottom and inside of the hat. Let dry
- For the spider, glue the small pom-pom to the large pom-pom using tacky glue.
- Using wire cutters, cut five 2″ pieces of the yellow/orange pipe stem. Bundle 4 of the pieces and twist the 5th piece around the center of the bundle to hold in place. Spread out the pieces and shape your spider legs. Cut off any excess.
- Glue your spider body to the legs with tacky glue. Next glue the wiggle eyes to the front of the small pom-pom. Let dry.
- Apply a generous amount of tacky glue to the inner seam of the hat where it meets the rim. Wrap your boa around the hat and cut off any excess. Let dry.
- Cut a 12″ piece of netting and tie the center into a knot. Apply tacky glue to the tip of the hat and place the center of the knot over the hat. Let dry.
- Gently insert the spider fee into the netting holes and you’re done!
Hope you enjoy making this fun Candy Corn Witch Hat🎃 Thanks for stopping by!!
Share the Happy 💖